As we age, the tissues and bone under our skin lose volume. This loss of volume results in sagging skin and more prominent lines and wrinkles. One of the big reasons for this is the reduced production of collagen, the natural substance that gives skin its strength and elasticity.
While sagging and wrinkles occur in multiple areas of the body, these changes are most noticeable on the face. Thankfully, various cosmetic treatments, including dermal fillers, can rejuvenate skin and cultivate a smoother, more youthful look.
Fillers are one of the most popular cosmetic treatments on the market and are capable of transforming skin with lasting, natural results. Naturally, if you’re considering trying dermal fillers for the first time, you will have questions and may have some concerns about the treatment.
This post covers everything you need to know about injectable fillers, from how they work and the benefits to the possible side effects.
What are Dermal Fillers?
During a dermal filler treatment, naturally occurring or synthetic substances are injected into specific areas of the face with a fine needle. Fillers are designed to address common signs of aging, such as wrinkles and sagging skin, by restoring lost volume.
Dermal fillers can also be used to enhance the look of certain areas like the jawline and chin.
The injection sites are chosen carefully based on a detailed assessment of your face, the areas you wish to focus on, and the results you hope to achieve.
Hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring substance and is the most commonly used for treatments. It plays a vital role in keeping skin hydrated and flexible. Synthetic fillers can contain various substances like polymethylmethacrylate (PMMA) or calcium hydroxylapatite (CaHa).
What are the Benefits of Dermal Fillers?
Injecting fillers is a quick, simple way to refresh the face and create firmer smoother skin. It’s a versatile treatment suited to various aesthetic issues and goals.
Dermal fillers can be used to:
● Soften nasolabial folds (“laugh lines”)
● Lift the midface, cheek, or create a ponytail lift
● Add definition to or contour the jawline
● Reshape and augment the chin
● Enhance lips to restore or achieve more volume and shape
● Soften tear troughs to address eyes that look tired
The treatment can create results that look natural and subtle. Unnatural-looking results are often caused by over injection and therefore, it is important you seek a professional that is able to advise you appropriately. It’s generally a comfortable procedure, though a topical anesthetic may be applied to the target areas (most commonly when injecting filler into the lips).
Treatment sessions are typically short, particularly follow-up appointments booked to maintain results. In most cases, injecting dermal fillers will take about 30 minutes, which makes it ideal if you want to fit an effective cosmetic treatment into a busy schedule.
The procedure is simple and gentle, with no down time so you will be comfortable enough to carry on with the rest of your day. If your job does not involve heavy lifting or strenuous exercise, you could even go back to work.
Some results are noticeable right away and will continue to mature over one or two weeks to settle completely. Dr. Kumar will provide you with a clear idea of what to expect during your consultation.
What are the Side Effects of Dermal Fillers?
Injecting dermal fillers is a safe process, but as with any cosmetic treatment, there is a risk of side effects. Thankfully these are rare and most often not serious. During your consultation Dr. Kumar will be happy to discuss any potential side effects and ensure that you’re fully informed of any risks.
There are certain instructions to follow ahead of your treatment:
How Should You Prepare for Your Dermal Filler Injections?.
- Avoid tweezing, bleaching, or waxing any target areas within two days of your treatment.
- Avoid blood-thinning medications, including ibuprofen and aspirin, for a few days before your treatment.
- Wash your face and remove all makeup before your treatment.
Dr. Kumar will provide essential instructions on preparing for your injections, including those covered above, to ensure that you’re well prepared.
What Should You Do After Your Dermal Filler Injections?
After your treatment, Dr. Kumar will provide you with advice and instructions on caring for your skin safely.
Here are some of the top steps to follow:
- Avoid strenuous exercise for the first 24 hours.
- Stay well hydrated.
- Avoid massaging or moving the areas treated, unless told otherwise.
- Apply a cool compress if you notice any swelling in the areas treated.
- Avoid wearing makeup for the first four to six hours after treatment to reduce the risk of infection.
- Avoid extensive exposure to the sun or heat (e.g. saunas) for the first 72 hours.
- Alcohol and salts in large quantities could increase the risk of excess swelling, so only consume either in small amounts.
- Avoid sleeping face-down for a few days after treatment to avoid placing pressure on the areas treated.
- Avoid scratching or picking skin in any areas treated.
How Long Do Injectable Fillers Last?
Fillers usually last at least eight months, though this can differ depending on the type of filler and the area injected. You can choose to let the results of the treatment fade or book follow-up sessions to maintain your results. You may also decide to target additional areas with dermal fillers.
What Other Cosmetic Treatments are Available?
Dr. Kumar has received training in Aesthetic Medicine via the Canadian Board of Aesthetic Medicine and offers a comprehensive range of treatments. These include:
- Thread Lift procedures
- Microneedling PRP, PRF, and Mesotherapy
- Medical therapies for treating hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating), TMJ pain, migraine headaches, and hair loss
- Morpheus8 Skin rejuvenation and tightening treatments
The latest equipment and techniques are used in each treatment to achieve the finest results.
Take the Next Step Towards Smoother Skin
Dr. Kumar offers personalized assessments and tailored treatment plans to provide you with a bespoke experience.
If you wish to speak to Dr. Kumar about injectable fillers or any of his other treatments, book an appointment online today.